Similar to cloud computing, cloud telephony also provides distributed resource management over the Internet i.e. without having any infrastructure at the business premises infrastructure will be hosted on the internet. Tasks like managing infrastructure, upgrading and downgrading of resources will be done on the fly as per the requirement of the business.
End users access cloud based applications through a web browser or a lightweight desktop or mobile app while the business software and data are stored on servers at a remote location. Proponents claim that cloud telephony allows enterprises to get their telecom infrastructure up and running faster, with improved manageability and less maintenance, and enables IT to more rapidly adjust resources to meet fluctuating and unpredictable business demand
Cloud computing relies on sharing of resources to achieve coherence and economies of scale similar to utility (like the electricity grid) over a network (typically the Internet). At the foundation of cloud telephony is the broader concept of converged infrastructure and shared services.
Why do you need it?
If your answer is YES to any of the following questions than you need a cloud based telephony system.
1. Do you want to serve your customers 24×7?
2. Does every call from your customer worth something to you?
3. Do you want to greet your callers with automated voice?
4. Do you want to log each and every call for future reference?
5. Do you have multiple call attendants to handle your incoming calls?
6. Do you want to save money on infrastructure?
7. Does managing infrastructure, false billing by operators and fear of bill shock gives you nightmares?
8. Do you want your telecom service up and running in few minutes?